Orson Welles, The Other Side of the Wind | Official Trailer [HD] | Netflix

My level of anticipation for this new Welles film has caused about a four-thousand year regression in my worldview/beliefs. I am literally propitiating the gods for a good future outcome, and would gladly slaughter a virgin if only I could find one in Rhode Island. At the same time, since I’ve fully embraced doublethink under the pressure of my mountainous anticipation, I am literally trying to convince myself that it will suck so that I can still enjoy it if it turns out to be mediocre (for him). 

I am deeply proud of how quickly I hurled out the window all the collected, hard-won knowledge and wisdom of humanity just because there’s a new Welles film. I figured you would be, too.

The film, all kidding aside (You: “He was kidding?”), isn’t some thrown-together cash-in thing: it was mostly completed with apparently full instructions on how to edit the last bit about forty years ago, but typically Wellesian financial and then family-legacy squabbles kept it on ice/unfinished, other than a few scenes, up to now. 

It was finished by Peter Bogdanovich, who you probably know and who is a pretty damn good director in his own right (watch, immediately,if you haven't, the highly Wellesian The Last Picture Show) as well as a film historian and friend/disciple of Welles. He’s in the picture himself, acting.

Anyway, it’ll be on Netflix if you get that and in select theaters, as they say. Probably a Boston, Chicago, LA, NYC thing. 

But I could be wrong, and will be if it takes off financially. Which would be nice for Orson’s shade but won’t happen.






And here's a playlist of Wind-related stuff on the Tube of You.