Facebook Badge

30 November 2008

Mesoamerican Documentaries

The Dawn of the Maya (National Geographic)


The Lost Gods - The Maya (History Channel)


Mystery of the Maya (IMAX)


Engineering an Empire - The Maya (History Channel)


Natural World - Secrets of the Maya Underworld (BBC)


Nova - Cracking the Maya Code


Ancient Apocalypse: The Maya Collapse (BBC)


Places of Mystery - Chichen Itza's Sacred Ceremonies


Secrets of the ancients - Olmec Heads (BBC)


Ancient Voices: Aztecs: Inside the Hidden Empire (BBC)


Ancient Warriors - The Aztecs (Discovery Channel)


In Search of History - The Aztec Empire (History Channel)


Unsolved History - Aztec Temple of Blood


Blood and Flowers - In Search of the Aztecs (BBC)


Conquistadors - The fall of the Aztecs (PBS)


Heroes and Villains - Hernan Cortes (BBC)


Engineering an Empire - The Aztecs (History Channel)


The Aztec Massacre


The Last Aztec


What the Ancients Did for Us - The Aztecs and Maya


Ancient Civilizations - Fall Of The Aztec & Maya Empires (Not embeddable.)

Ancient Mysteries - The Puzzling Pyramids of Mexico (Not embeddable.)

4 comments:

  1. Wow - if only you'd been around to supplement my dry, monotone World History professor! Obviously I could spend all day, and probably will, exploring all the material you are offering here. Let me pause right now to say a huge THANK YOU for these beautiful, thorough, mind-opening presentations! As a novelist who delights in creating ancient-type worlds, I am indebted to such series as Engineering an Empire for lending detail and reality to my work. Of course, history is vital knowledge for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that was so nice I hate to admit I'm merely passing along some great stuff that someone else put up on YouTube! (Click through to YouTube and you'll see the person's avatar/screen name.) I have only watched the Mayan Code one; great stuff.

    I had a "non-Western history" week a couple of weeks ago (16 Nov - 23 Nov); you might dig these:

    # Africa, Basil Davidson
    # The Silk Road, 1980, NHK (Japan) and CCTV (China)
    # The Seven Wonders of the Muslim World
    # Various Documentaries on the Mongols
    # The Mystery Of The Taj Mahal * ஆங்கிலம்
    # The Story of India
    # BBC Documentary: In the Footsteps of Alexander the Great

    Thanks for stopping by! I also write a bit, so I'm glad to meet ("e-meet") another writer. I'm also a big fan of historical novels -- especially Gore Vidal, Robert Graves, and Mary Renault.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw your site just now -- nice! I love to see people creating new worlds, especially given the state of the real one.

    I left out Naguib Mahfouz's three novels of Ancient Egypt. More good stuff.

    These authors are just those I've come across; never made any study of historical fiction as such.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Doug! What a fount of resources you are! Valuable stuff! Thank goodness I found you again. I'd only gotten to two presentations before being interrupted. Henceforth I shall keep better notes of the blogs I visit! What have you written?

    ReplyDelete