The Lack of Silence of the Cat: A Short Film

Morning. Early, early morning. Like, 4:15 in the morning. Early, is what I’m saying, OK? 

GRENDEL sits on DOUG’s chest. DOUG looks like he hasn’t slept more than four hours straight in weeks because he hasn’t slept more than four hours straight in weeks.

GRENDEL: It rubs the fur on my skin. It does this whenever it's told.

DOUG [Begging to be left alone.]: Grendel, I will pay you in catnip. Whatever ransom you're asking for, I’ll pay it.

GRENDEL [Unheeding.] It rubs the fur on my skin or else it gets the paw again. [To self in loving sing-song.] Yes, it will, Precious. It will get the paw!

DOUG [Rubbing while fighting back tears.]: OK, OK, OK. I’ll do it…OK. [Tentatively.] Grendel, if you let me sleep for another hour, I won't make you wait till six for breakfast. I promise! See, my sleep is a real important thing. I guess you already knew that.

GRENDEL: Now it gets up and places the food in the dish.

DOUG [Breaking down.]: Please! Please! I wanna go to sleep, please!

GRENDEL: It places the food in the dish.

DOUG: [Regressing under the pressure.] I wanna go to sleeps! Please! I wanna see the…I wanna see the Sandman! I wanna…I wanna…San...man...

GRENDEL: [Losing patience.] Put the fucking food in the dish!

POV: DOUG as he looks down the blanket slowly…to find a giant hairball by his feet, along with much of last night’s dinner. DOUG snaps and begins to scream.